Friday, June 14, 2013

Happy Father’s Day everyone

I have two fathers and so do you.  In my case one Father is loving and kind, the other one spanked my bottom…… hard.  One Father is perfect; the other one never had a perfect day in his life…… okay, so we all know whose fault that is. J  One Father never gives up on me, the other one kicked me out of his house…………… twice. (btw, I deserved it)

I could go on but I think you get the point or do you?  You see one of my fathers was created in the image of the Other. What I see in my father as imperfections, weaknesses and humanity, God sees as His Image, strength and eternality.  I love my dad, not because he was perfect, but because he is my father, created & loved by my other Father.

As you read this you may be thinking about your earthly father; his mistakes, his anger, his love, his pride in you, his inability to understand you, his ability to try anyway, his missing your games, his working two jobs so you could play in those games, etc. 
 
Here’s the thing, some of you had fathers that tried their very best and were amazing examples, some of you had fathers who were inconsistent, some of you may have had fathers who were abusive or alcoholics, and some of you may have never met your father.

Wherever you are when it comes to your earthly father, here is a truth that you must not miss.  You have a Father, and His name is Jehovah.  Yes, He gets angry, & yet is protective; yes He demands perfection but at the same time is forgiving. Yes He loves you but is unafraid to let you know when you are wrong.  He is a Father who never gives up on you, will always call you his son or daughter no matter what you do or don’t do, and
He is a Father that will always wait for you with open arms when you are ready to love Him in return.  He won’t force you into this, because He purposely made you with the ability to choose whether or not to return His love, but He’ll never stop loving you. 
Fathers may I encourage you to live your lives as if you were created in the image of God (because you were) and be the father He would have you to be.

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!  1 John 3:1



 

No comments:

Post a Comment