Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mother's in a Word

What single word best describes mothers?  They are all so different each with their own strengths and weaknesses, their own unique talents, abilities, personalities, etc.  They aren’t perfect or infallible by any means so what word do I use?

I thought about stable, but that sounds like a barn, or steadfast but that seems so lifeless and boring.  Amazing and incredible are wonderful adjectives but are very general and could be used to describe many things or people.  I need a word that best describe Mothers all over the world.

Dependable sounds like a car or a good mule.  Patient, well even the best mother sometimes struggles with this quality even though they usually have men beat hands down when it comes to patience.  Goodness, consistency, beauty, love, are all great words that describe mothers but still not what I was looking for.

And then it hit me!  The perfect descriptive word.  It’s perfect because it covers all facets of mothers.  After all Moms are also chauffers, coaches, counselors, best friends, driving instructors, beauty consultants, tutors, chefs, nurses, and experts in many more fields.
The Word?  Flexible.  Changing on the fly, adapting to any and every situation.  My favorite quote of all time - "Blessed are the flexible for they shall not be bent out of shape" - Anonymous - Thanks to all the mothers and wives out there who have perfected the art of flexibility.  We love you!

2 comments:

  1. Lance I love your "flexible " quotation!!
    Daniel B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Daniel, I forget where I first heard that quotation but it's very applicable

    ReplyDelete